Monday, June 20, 2016

Love, Community and Pride

This blog post of mine is going to be a little different. I'm not going to get political or smart-mouthed or probably even be funny. Hopefully, I won't offend anyone because, in my opinion, there won't be anything here that is even remotely offensive. It's all about love.

An open letter to all of my friends and loved ones in the LGBTQ community, one week after Orlando. 


Dear Friends,


I'm sorry. 

I'm so sorry this has happened. 

I'm so sorry that there are still people in existence who think that the love you feel should be a target for hate. 

I'm sorry we continue to fail to take steps that would help prevent atrocities like this from happening. 

But even more than telling you how sorry I am, what I'd really like to say is...I'm with you. As much as I can be, I'm with you. I'm your sister, your friend and your cheerleader. 

No part of who you are is anything to be ashamed of. No piece of your soul isn't deserving of love. No part of your identity isn't worthy of acceptance. And however you feel most like yourself is the way it was intended. 

I'm sure there are a lot of you out there that already know these things but I want you to know that I know it too. And anyone in the LGBTQ community who might be feeling like these things aren't as obvious to them, I want them to see the words for themselves. To hear another voice tell them that they're exactly who they're supposed to be. 

Be proud of who you are. Because you are amazing.

You're brave.
You're warriors.
You're courageous.
You're valued.
You're valuable.
You're real.
You're truth.
You're love.

I want the world to be safe for you. I want you to be able to log onto social media without having people debating your bathroom choices. I want you to be seen for you, not your gender or your sexuality. I want people to realize that you're just like everyone else...in the way that none of us are alike and we're all the same. 

I want you to be able to be the snowflake that you are. The snowflake that the rest of us are allowed to be. 

I want you to know that if there's a God, God loves you. 

I want you to know that this world would be worse off if you didn't exist and that you add an incredible amount to our collective existence, as individuals and as a community.

I want you to know that I love you. I want you to know that I'm proud of you and I want you to know that I'm proud to call you family. 

During this time in the wake of Orlando and during what should be a joyous Pride, I hope that you can still celebrate the way you deserve to. You've helped our world become a more accepting place and I realize that there's still work to be done and progress to be made but each and every one of you has made a difference in the lives of every man, woman and child in this country. And for the better, whether they're loving enough to be able to see that for themselves. 

Thank you all for being a part of my life. I love you. I cherish you. And I stand with you always.

With the sincerest love and gratitude,

Monica


No comments:

Post a Comment